Okay, below you will see an e-mail from Luke's sister and below that is a message from their aunt. This family is absolutely amazing and really has pulled together after the tragedy of losing one of their own almost a year ago, which would be Luke and Allie's brother, Ryan. He was a great guy, a great friend and all around fun to be around. He was a confident guy and this message "because I can" really shows his all around attitude.
I was deeply touched by this and after reading Allie's e-mail I cried. A lot. So, because of that I just wanted to share with you, my friends, what a truly wonderful family I may possibly have as in-laws someday.
Hi All -
I'm looking for some help from my friends. February 19th is going to mark the 1st Anniversary of Ryan's death. Sure that day is going to suck, although so did the other 364 days before that one. I am asking for your help! Please see below. My aunt is a great woman - and I personally love her like my mother. This is more than just a little gesture here. Let me tell you a story - A couple of weeks ago my grandmother fell very ill. She is 91 years old - and well can't really take care of herself. Although she doesn't want to be put into a nursing home either. So what do you do to help Grandma get better to go be able to go home. My Aunt and her husband welcomed "Grandma B" into their home until Grandma get's better. This project here is helping my Grandma so much - she bundled pencils till 9:30 last night - this morning she was up at 7:30 wanting to do it again. This is from a woman that a year ago just sat in her chair all day missing her grandson. Grandma has poor eyes and can't read that well anymore. I am asking you to give from your heart - no matter how large or how small. My nephew and niece (Ryan's kids) are so excited about this - it makes my heart smile. If anyone needs anything please contact either my aunt or myself.
Thanks!
Allie
"Because I Can" - how many times I heard that statement from my late nephew, Ryan. If he did something it was "Because I Can" and if he bought something it was "Because I Can." Now disaster has struck Haiti and with that devastating disaster it has greatly depleted disaster supplies and inventories. It is not only Haiti that depends on disaster relief supplies but nationwide in the US as well. It is the first anniversary of Ryan's death on February 19, 2010, and I have chosen to adopt a "Because I Can" attitude to honor that date. I am grabbing his motto and running with it "Because I Can." This is not the time for idle hands or thoughts when so much work needs to be done. I have committed myself in the next two months to have 500 school kits ready for shipping to Lutheran World Relief. I need 500 school bags to be sewn and have the committment from Ryan's Mom, Cheryl, that she will help sew them, but I need 106 yards of material. I have Ryan's grandma (91 years young) Clara putting rubberbands around the pencils (six pencils need to be held together with a rubberband). I received 3000 FREE PENCILS via UPS this evening from Marco Promotions when I asked if they would help out. I need you to say to yourself "Because I Can" that you will help with this project. I need to round up material for school kits, notebooks, scissors, rulers, pencil sharpeners, erasers, construction paper, and crayons. Maybe you will think "Because I Can" and donate some cash to further this endeavor. Maybe you will pick up some products. I know you are thinking "Renae, you are rather bold asking for people to give and help with this project when we are right in a recession?" I still will ask anyway, "Because I Can." I would be thrilled to get one box of crayons or an eraser. Will you scan the list below and see if there is something you would like to help donate in honor of a special someone, a baby being born, a memorial tribute, etc? I will place inside each school kit a paper stating who donated to this effort when the kits are assembled.
Contents for one school kit would be:
- Notebooks of wide- or college-ruled paper approximately 8" x 10 ½" totaling 150- 200 sheets (if using 70-sheet notebooks, please include three); no loose-leaf paper
One blunt scissors (safety scissors with embedded steel blades work well)
One 30-centimeter ruler, or a ruler with centimeters on one side and inches on the other
One pencil sharpener
Six new, unsharpened #2 pencils with erasers; secure together with a rubber band ****ALREADY FILLED WITH 3000 PENCILS!!!!!
One eraser approximately 2 ½" long
12 sheets of construction paper in assorted colors (if necessary, fold in half to fit into the school kit bag)
One box of 16 or 24 crayons
One sturdy cloth bag approximately 12" X 14" with cloth handles or drawstring closure. (Need 106 yards of material).
Thank you so much for considering my request. I just want all of us to make a difference "Because I Can." Feel free to forward this email on to your friends, family or organizations. I think this would be such an awesome thing to do "Because I Can."
Renae
No comments:
Post a Comment